Tuesday, April 07, 2009

To Die For

Over the last few days, I have been thinking quite a bit about what is worth living for and what is worth dying for. I watched the video of a memorial service of a young man who was literally sharing the truth of God's Word until the moment he died. He obviously lived a life passionate about God and eternity. He was not scared of death, but rather scared for those who didn't know Him when they died. As Christians, we ought to live with this same mindset. I think of our calling in Matthew 10:27-28.
What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops. Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The death of the body is not something to be feared. The death of our soul and the souls of others for eternity is something we ought to fear. I want to live a life of urgency for the souls of others. I saw a truck flip over on the freeway the other day. Thankfully, the girl got out okay... but life can end at any moment. Our next breath is not guaranteed to us! I was thinking about what my memorial service might be like someday (which is kind of weird in that I think Christ will come again in my lifetime), but anyway... I hear so often that people want to be honored for their love and service to the Lord at their memorial service. While this is great... I don't want to be the one honored at my memorial service. I want people to look at my life and see what an awesome God that I had the privilege of serving. I don't want them to see the service that I have done as me, but as God's work of grace in my heart. He alone is worthy of all of our praise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post reminded me of Steven Curtis Chapman's song, "Much of You" (lyrics here).

Good thoughts.

~Olivia N.