Thursday, July 16, 2009

Obedience When God Doesn't Make Sense

I got to spend some time in prayer with a friend this morning. What an incredible blessing. I absolutely love spending time in prayer without distractions. To be completely honest, I was quite exhausted and mostly asleep (like 5:20 am), but it was a great blessing anyways. I read Hosea 1 this evening and it really wants to make me read more, but I decided to take it one chapter at a time for more of his perspective on this whole thing. Take a look at this command from God in verses 2 and 3.
When the LORD first spoke through Hosea, the LORD said to Hosea, "Go, take to yourself a wife of harlotry and have children of harlotry; for the land commits flagrant harlotry, forsaking the LORD." So he went and took Gomer the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

Up to this point, it doesn't tell us whether or not God had revealed His plans to Hosea. Regardless of if God had revealed His plans to Hosea... I can't even imagine going out and finding a harlot to be my wife... someone walking completely contrary to His ways. This really makes me think. How much do I trust God? If He told me to do something completely radical for His sake, would I be willing to give up my plans and do it? It is a tough question. In my head, I say, Yes! Absolutely!... but when the rubber meets the road, it's not so easy. Rather than jumping into the next few chapters, I am going to try to allow God to work in my heart in the area of complete obedience... regardless of if it fits my plans.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

Very good post! I hadn't thought of it that way. Who would want to obey God and submit to His plan if he doesn't make sense to us at all? But, still, God calls us to obey and honor Him no matter what the circumstances are. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Kyrstin said...

Great post! I've thought a lot about how sometimes God calls us to do things that are way outside our comfort zone and doesn't tell us why. Like Isaiah going around naked for 3 years. I don't know if he knew why God was telling him to do this, but he obeyed.

Felicity said...

Wow, when you say it like that it make my challenges to obey look insignificant.

*Shudders*

That combine with this: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=65&chapter=13&verse=8&version=50&context=verse

...at least the lions made some sense.