Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Would Have Despaired...

God blessed in that while dad is working down in San Diego and has a hotel paid for by our tax dollars, my mom is able to join him for a couple days. :) These are hard financial times... and what an incredible blessing it is that they are able to spend this time together on a "vacation" without paying for it even! God's blessings are unending! After I dropped mom off to be with dad late this evening, I went for a walk on the beach for a good while... I honestly don't know how long I was there. I love being able to enjoy the beauty of His creation and being able to pray and sing to Him without the distractions of the world. It is so true that the things of earth grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. I decided to read Psalm 27 to my siblings this evening. To be honest, this last week has been a bit of a struggle with waiting on Him. I really had my hopes up that I would have an interview on Monday and that didn't happen. In fact, I have yet to hear back. I was a bit worried even, but I am thankful for that time tonight where I was able to release that to Him. Psalm 27:13-14 rings so true in my heart.
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord In the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord.

It is true--without Him, I have no hope. This morning, God blessed me with the opportunity to talk with a neighbor boy that had been kicked out of his house [for good reason]. It really served as a reminder to me of the fact that we really have no hope without Him. As I was praying this evening, I was thinking one by one through the fruits of the Spirit and how they are only because of Him. I tried to think of anything good in my life that didn't fit under one of those categories... just to prove to myself that He is indeed the source of every good and perfect thing. I'd challenge you to do the same.

All true love is from the Lord. All true joy is from the Lord. All true peace is from the Lord. All true patience is from the Lord. All true kindness is from the Lord. All true goodness is from the Lord. All true faithfulness is from the Lord. All true gentleness is from the Lord. All true self-control is from the Lord.

Can you think of anything good that doesn't fit in there? I don't even know why it is called "self-control". In reality, it is the Spirit controlling us when we have "self-control". Oh that God would humble us to see how short we come of His glory... that we would realize that the only good in us is because He is the One doing it! I would have despaired if I had not believed in the goodness of the Lord!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN Daniel!! This is one of my favorite verses and has been on my mind all this week! The last couple weeks have been bombarded with spiritual warfare and there were times when I felt completely overwhelmed, but the Lord has been SO faithful and more than sufficient in His ministry to me! Counting it all joy and praying for you as you wait upon Him:) -m