Monday, March 21, 2011

Two Are Better Than One

I was blessed incredibly this evening with being able to spend some time talking and praying with a good friend of mine. He is one of those people who I know I can depend on if I ever needed something. If I was to start to stray from the Lord, I know that he would be there to do whatever it takes to draw me back to the Lord. He is an encourager... a true faithful friend. I value him and people like him more than any earthly possession. Christ is the ultimate Friend. He authored faithfulness. He defines love. He is the shepherd the seeks the lost sheep. He is One with the Father in His grip on us that will never let go. I am thankful for Him most of all. I am thankful for the imperfect pictures of Him that He has given me in the form of godly friends. They help me see a little bit more of what Christ is like. As we were talking this evening, I was thinking about Ecclesiastes 4:9-12.
Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up. Furthermore, if two lie down together they keep warm, but how can one be warm alone? And if one can overpower him who is alone, two can resist him. A cord of three strands is not quickly torn apart.
I am so blessed to be striving to please the Lord along with other godly young men who strengthen me with their prayers and encourage me with words of truth and wisdom--young men that aren't afraid to speak His truth to me when they know it may be painful. I need more of these men in my life... we need more of these men in our churches.

God, help me to be a faithful friend. Help me to do so without partiality. I am so tempted to do good to those that will do good to me and only to those, but help me to see the big picture so that I truly love You and love others. You have called us to serve one another with our love. Help me to do that to whomever You put in my path no matter how lovable they are... not because I may gain something from it, but for Your glory in their hearts.

No comments: