Monday, June 18, 2012

The Bad Guys

On Sunday, Pastor Tim just mentioned as a side note something that he was pointing out to his children. You know... it is really amazing how God can speak through His Word to both the smallest of children and the oldest of adults. Anyway, he was talking about how we all see the 10 spies to the promise land as bad guys. We have gone so far from that point. These were guys that risked their lives for the sake of the people of Israel to bring back a report about the promise land. But, they lacked faith and trust in the Lord. Take a look at Numbers 13:27-33
Thus they told him, and said, “We went in to the land where you sent us; and it certainly does flow with milk and honey, and this is its fruit. Nevertheless, the people who live in the land are strong, and the cities are fortified and very large; and moreover, we saw the descendants of Anak there. Amalek is living in the land of the Negev and the Hittites and the Jebusites and the Amorites are living in the hill country, and the Canaanites are living by the sea and by the side of the Jordan.” Then Caleb quieted the people before Moses and said, “We should by all means go up and take possession of it, for we will surely overcome it.” But the men who had gone up with him said, “ We are not able to go up against the people, for they are too strong for us.” So they gave out to the sons of Israel a bad report of the land which they had spied out, saying, “The land through which we have gone, in spying it out, is a land that devours its inhabitants; and all the people whom we saw in it are men of great size. There also we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak are part of the Nephilim); and we became like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
No doubt, their report was honest, but they had forgotten all that God had done up to this point and failed to trust Him for the next step. We do look at this guys as "the bad spies" and yes, they failed to trust the Lord, but so often, I think we don't see the same lack of faith in our own hearts. I like to think of myself as one who trusts the Lord, but there are so many areas in which I clearly have not trusted Him how I should have. I chose to lean on my own earthly wisdom without looking to the infinite power of God who made heaven and earth and all that is in it. He gives life and breath.

God, show me the areas in which I have not been trusting you and place in me a heart of trust resulting in full submission and obedience to whatever You desire me to do. Forgive me for my distrust and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ditto in my life, but yet He is good and amazing to know that He is pleased when we confess needing help with unbelief and ask for help (Mark 9:24).
Because truly it is He who gives us a measure of faith and helps us believe (Romans 12:3), even if it is through meditating on His word.(Romans 10:17). How good is the Lord! :)