Friday, July 06, 2012

Humbling Associations

For July 4th, our church got together with another church to help them do an outreach to their community. Basically, we made balloon animals, several people did face painting, and we gave out gospel tracts, etc. God gave this church a unique opportunity to be right across the street from a minor league baseball stadium. They got to be the only booth outside the stadium (free) and even were able to use some tents and chairs and such that the city provided! It was such a blessing to be able to serve the community in a practical and simple way and hopefully make an eternal impact in the lives of some.

One of the young ladies that I made a pink and green flower balloon for was 12 years old in a wheel chair. She was with her mom getting her face painted and mom brought me over there to make a balloon for her. She had recently had surgery to remove tumors off the bones in her legs. Your heart just aches for people like her... young and potentially has so much life in front of her and yet she is wheel-chair bound at least for quite a while. This morning, I was reading in Romans 12 and verse 16 caught my attention in light of yesterday's outreach. Here are verses 14-16 for context.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
Someone encouraged me (whether they know it or not) to look into what the word "lowly" meant here. It has two other usages in the New Testament... James 4:6 and 1 Peter 5:5 which talk about how God is opposed to the proud but gives grace to the humble. The word humble there is the same word as lowly in Romans 12:16. Those verses appear to be quoting from Proverbs 3:34. The word carries the idea of humble, meek, poor, oppressed, and needy people.

What was fascinating to me is that there are so many passages in Proverbs that talk about who we associate with. For example... do not associate with a gossip (Prov. 20:19), do not associate with a man given to anger (Prov. 22:24), do not be with heavy drinkers of wine or gluttonous eaters of meat (Prov. 23:20), do not be envious of evil men nor desire to be with them (Prov 24:1), do not associate with those who are given to change (Prov. 24:21), etc. Here in Romans 12:16, we are commanded to associate with the lowly, or the humble... and that same word is used for those that God gives grace to! In humbling ourselves and associating with the lowly when it may not feel like the "cool thing" to do, we are actually placing ourselves in a position to receive the grace of the Lord. God is opposed to the proud!

I am thankful that the Lord used that young lady last night in conjunction with His Word this morning to encourage me to associate with those that I ought to associate with. I don't need to be the "cool guy". I need to be gracious to those to whom He is gracious.

I think of a song that I listen to fairly often called, "The Mind of Christ".

To receive when others reject,
To treat each one with true respect,
To shield when others throw stones,
To be with one whos all alone,
To think and choose to see the very best,
To live like this is nothing less than to possess:

The mind of Christ, my highest goal,
The Lord's delight, the desire of my soul,
The Father's heart will always guide my life,
If I will have in me the mind of Christ.

To build up when others tear down,
To see the lost until they're found,
To give grace where it's needed most,
Rejecting pride when others boast,
To sacrifice my all without regret,
To live like this is nothing less than to possess:

The mind of Christ, my highest goal,
The Lord's delight, the desire of my soul,
The Father's heart will always guide my life,
If I will have in me the mind of Christ.

No comments: