Wednesday, October 02, 2013

In Light of the End

I have been really challenged the last several days by 2 Peter.  Tonight, I was reading in chapter 3 and verses 10-15 really caught my attention.
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation.
My eyes must be turned toward the things that are eternal. The things of this earth will be burned up someday. One of the guys at church who has some really nice guitars often reminds me that it is just "firewood". What a great reminder that is. The stuff of this world is all going to be burned up... so in light of the end, what is at the center of my attention? Praying that I would grow in Christ-likeness and that my heart would be turned continually toward eternal things.

No comments: