Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Doing Everything for Him

I have been enjoying work lately. I have been doing quite a bit more programming this last week than I had in the several previous weeks. I do enjoy general computer issues and all, but programming is what I enjoy most. I was thinking about my New Year's Resolutions today... and specifically how I am failing in many of them (especially the physical ones). It's hard to believe that we are finishing off month 2 of 12! I have so much to do! God has blessed in that I have been accepted into grad school! That will start March 30th.

I read Romans 14 today and it was a great encouragement to just do whatever I'm doing for the Lord. Take a look at verses 6-9.
He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. For not one of us lives for himself, and not one dies for himself; for if we live, we live for the Lord, or if we die, we die for the Lord; therefore whether we live or die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that He might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

It is important that we keep in mind that God completely controls both the time we take our first breath and the time we take our last. Having this in mind, we ought to take advantage of every moment to live for Him. The reality is that the things we do that are not for Him are not eternally valuable... life is but a vapor in comparison to eternity. Frankly, I don't understand why I don't take these things more seriously than I do. Every moment of every day is another opportunity to live for Him... are we making the most out of the time He has given us or are we living for ourselves? I'm not asking this as someone that doesn't struggle with this. Honestly, I am a selfish person. I like my certain foods a certain way, I like to have time alone, I like to have fun playing sports, I like to receive compliments, I like to be recognized. If I had it completely my way, the whole world would probably revolve around me. I am thankful that He is wise enough not to let that happen and to humble me as I become proud. He is infinitely wise. I pray that I will make good use of the time He has given me for eternally significant things.

No comments: