Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Seeing as He Sees

This last week has been a wonderful blessing. While I want to be out working, earning money, saving for the future, etc., God knows what is best. I have been continually reminded of Psalm 84:11-12.
For the Lord God is a sun and shield. The Lord gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. O Lord of hosts, how blessed is the man who trusts in You!

David clearly knew what it meant to trust fully in Him. God has used several different circumstances over the last few weeks to really grab my heart and help me trust Him more fully. He has given a peace that is beyond comprehension... and I'm not just saying that! Truly, I find myself surprised by the fact that I have the peace and patience that I have... and it is obvious that is not from me--it is completely His doing. It is so true... we are the ones who are blessed when we trust in Him. Not only that, but the promise of God not withholding anything good from those who walk uprightly. God is the author of everything that is good. If it's good, He did it! It's really quite unimaginable to try to fathom what Him not withholding any good thing would look like... but I'll tell you this, I want to find out! ;) Talk about a reason to live in obedience to His ways... no other prompting needed!

This evening I read in James 2 and was challenged to look at and treat others through His eyes. I am prone to showing favor to those that I like... and yet, He calls us to not show favoritism. Take a look at verses 1-10.
My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, "You sit here in a good place," and you say to the poor man, "You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool," have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Is it not the rich who oppress you and personally drag you into court? Do they not blaspheme the fair name by which you have been called? If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.

I really need Him to work in my heart in this area. I need to see people as He sees them. We are all just as much in need of a savior as anyone else. We all need encouragement and grace. We all need love and patience. Most of all, we all need our hearts to be patterned after His heart. God, would you not let me be one to pass by on the other side of the road? Would you give me a heart that loves what You love and hates what You hate? Would You sharpen my eyes and ears to be attentive to the needs of others... and would You, in Your grace, give me the desire to do what You would have me do? Thank You for your unending patience with me.

1 comment:

Amber Noella said...

Amen! I struggle with this..and these scriptures helped!