Sunday, May 15, 2011

Missions Right Here

The sermon was exactly what I needed to hear today about the freedom that we have by living within the boundaries that God specifies for us. Pastor Tim used the illustration of sky diving and someone without a parachute jumping next to us telling us how we are so limited and slowed down by all those straps and everything tightly bound around us. He is celebrating the freedom he has... nothing to hold him back... he is truly free! The reality is that he is under the force of gravity. We can see the big picture... this person is headed full speed to his death. Just like the man with the parachute isn't standing at the edge of the plane saying, "I won't jump out without a parachute... I won't jump out without a parachute", but rather takes great joy in the "limiting" properties of the parachute knowing that it is what keeps him safe, we ought to have absolutely no attraction for evil. When God and His perfect limitations are the source of our joy, we cannot even consider another option.

I was thinking about 2 Corinthians and Galatians 5:13 this afternoon...
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty!... For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Romans 6 makes it clear that we are always slaves to someone or something... either sin, resulting in death, or Christ resulting in sanctification and eternal life. True freedom is found only in full obedience to Christ. When we can say, "I delight to do Your will.", we are free.

I have to be completely honest and say that I didn't really feel like going to our park ministry night this evening. We were basically going to have a Bible study at the park and everyone and anyone is invited. I went even though I really didn't feel like it. I am so glad that I did... it was such an amazing encouragement to me. If you have ever seen those missions videos where people are talking about the Lord and people just start walking up to come and listen in... that is exactly what happened tonight at the park. I got to play football with kids for a while... it was such a joy. It almost brought tears to my eyes when a father came walking up followed shortly thereafter by his son who was carrying a Bible that he just bought at a garage sale yesterday for 25 cents. Oh, he was so excited! People need the Lord! God has put the desire in their hearts to know Him. He is looking for willing vessels to carry the treasure of His Word to people that He has already done a work in. God, thank You for blessing the Bible study outreach tonight despite my lack of faith. Please make me a much more willing vessel for You!

1 comment:

Amber Noella said...

I love that story about the son & dad!