Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

It's not too often I get to celebrate the incredible mom that the Lord has blessed me with... especially since her birthday is in the same week as Mother's Day! I was sitting in my room this morning pondering what I ought to write in the card we got for mom and my thoughts wandered to different friends of mine who don't have their mom with them anymore. The more I pondered these things, the more I realize just how blessed I am to not only have a mom to strengthen me with prayer, encourage me, push me, rebuke me, etc... but to have a mom who is incredibly brilliant and active and humorous and young at heart and wise and godly and bold and lovely... I am so blessed to have my mom. My heart goes out to those that do not have a mom with them today. For the men and women fighting overseas... some of which are mothers... others are husbands of a wife who is a mother... others are sons and daughters of mothers. For those who don't have a relationship with their mom due to some life decisions. For those that don't have a mom with them because they have moved on into eternity. My mom has had perhaps the biggest impact on me of any human on the face of the planet... and truly, I can't imagine missing that person who has had that much impact on my life... but many are missing that person in their life today. I just want to take the time to encourage you if you don't have a mom with you today with these words from "Be Still My Soul".

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

My prayer for you today is that in missing your mother, God would grant you greater knowledge of Him and His supreme ability to fulfill all of your needs... to fill every void... to comfort and encourage your heart. God has blessed me with an incredible mother. I don't know how long He will bless me with her... but one thing I do know... I ought to make the most of my time with her. She is so wise. She is so virtuous. My encouragement of those of us that do have our moms with us today... let's minister to their needs more than we are. Let's serve them like Christ would have us do. Let's honor them as we are commanded to do. Mother's Day is a day where we focus on them, but it doesn't have to be Mother's Day for us to choose to make sacrifices for them. Let's love on them... encourage them... pray for them!
Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all." Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Happy Mother's Day to the most amazing mom ever. I love you, mom!

No comments: