Monday, May 28, 2012

Stimulated Toward Love and Good Deeds

Our church does something called, "Go Night" once per month.  Basically, we go out to a neighborhood in our community and we distribute invitations to church and talk with anyone who is outside and willing to talk... sometimes it leads to the gospel, other times it ends very quickly... but it always gets me out of my comfort zone.  Today, we had a picnic at the park afterwards and I was sitting at a table talking with a gentleman from our church and he slipped me a 3 x 5 card that had some scripture from Psalm 119 on it.  I read it and then we started talking about it... kind of a strange way to start a conversation, but it was such an encouragement to me that he would choose a spiritually beneficial topic and lead the conversation that way.  The conversation continued and he asked if I ever went out specifically to talk with people about the gospel.  Humbled, I had to say that I have only done it a couple times.  I do not see evangelism as my spiritual gift, but that is not an excuse for not doing it.  I am much more comfortable talking with someone I know about the gospel than someone I don't... but all those things really are excuses for my lack of faithfulness to the Lord in the area of sharing the gospel in word.  He asked me how I might approach a gentleman sitting on a park bench and pointed him out.  I explained how I might make small talk and find out a little bit about him and then bring up church and see if he was comfortable taking the conversation beyond surface level and then if he is... lead into the gospel if he is unsaved or asking him about his walk with the Lord if he is saved.  The conversation continued and then I got up to get another piece of watermelon... and when I got back, the gentleman that I was talking with was gone.  He had gone over to talk with that guy on the park bench.  I was so convicted and challenged by that.  It's possible that nothing will come of that conversation, but that is up to the Lord... not me.  God doesn't always lead us to stand at a street corner with a megaphone sharing the gospel, but I must be much much more aware of those around me that may no know Christ and take the opportunities He gives and follow His lead in sharing with them the glorious truth of the gospel. I am so thankful for this example from this guy at church.  He really lived out Hebrews 10:23-25 for me this evening.
Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
God, make me a more faithful steward of the gospel.

No comments: