Thursday, July 31, 2008

When obedience doesn't work out (or does it?).

I've been enjoying work, but I must admit that I was a bit tired after work today. Part of that probably had to do with the fact that Jack in the Box give very little for what you pay, but we won't go there. ;) We are going to try to get this site posted live tomorrow. My boss had been editing the code every time she posted it or tried to run it on the local machine haha... I just a bunch of "if" statements so that she wouldn't have to do that any more. I can't even imagine how many times she had to do that. I was reading in 1 Samuel 22 today. The priests had just taken care of David as he was fleeing from Saul. When Saul called them and questioned them, he decided to put them to death. Even under this great pressure, look at how they responded (verses 13-16)...

Saul then said to him, "Why have you and the son of Jesse conspired against me, in that you have given him bread and a sword and have inquired of God for him, so that he would rise up against me by lying in ambush as it is this day?" Then Ahimelech answered the king and said, "And who among all your servants is as faithful as David, even the king's son-in-law, who is captain over your guard, and is honored in your house? "Did I just begin to inquire of God for him today? Far be it from me! Do not let the king impute anything to his servant or to any of the household of my father, for your servant knows nothing at all of this whole affair." But the king said, "You shall surely die, Ahimelech, you and all your father's household!"


If you read further, they end up being put to death... but Saul's regular army wasn't willing to do it. So you may wonder, where was God in this? Why did He allow the priests that He had chosen to be put to death? Honestly, I don't completely know the answer, but I think this caused a big doubt in the minds of his army. Regardless of what we can see, God knows best. These priests knew that... and knew that Saul's death threats were no reason to change their view of David (whom God had chosen already). I pray that we would be that obedient to God... that we wouldn't even compromise our words to get out of something. He knows best! Complete obedience will ALWAYS result in us receiving God's ultimate best! Sometimes His best is painful, but it is His best. Sometimes His best is full of joy (we tend to like this one better)... but regardless, we need to trust that He knows what is best for us even when we can't see it.

No comments: