Friday, October 24, 2008

Still Trusting Him

It's been a bit of a rough week, but God is good! I really am very overloaded with school. I have never felt this overloaded in my life... so I guess it means that I have to keep trusting Him to get me through. I hate taking shortcuts when it comes to school, but I may have to at some point. Another thing that is a little bit on the rough end is that I need the clutch on my car replaced. They quoted it as $717. I don't have anything close to this in the bank account... so I am learning to trust Him some more! He can definitely provide the money. It is still drive-able at this point, but it needs to be done soon. I know He will provide in some way or another. It won't necessarily be easy, but I know that it will be good for me to trust Him. Bible study was great as usual tonight. I was kind of in a rush trying to get music together. My printer decided to not want to work at exactly the wrong time. :) Anyway, we studied Revelation 4 and the rapture. One of the passages we looked at was 1 Timothy 6:14 which talks about remaining pure until He returns. I decided to take a look at that chapter when I got home. It really is an awesome chapter. Here are just a few things that caught my attention in verses 6-16.

But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time--He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

I find it interesting that godliness is coupled with contentment. When we understand who He is and what He is about, we start wanting what He wants for us... this yields contentment. :) I find the phrase "take hold of eternal life" to be interesting. I think this relates to the love of money idea. As soon as he finished telling us to flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, etc., he points us to what we are to cling to--eternal life! I love the call to be obedient without "stain or reproach" until He returns. That is a very tough calling, but a powerful one. We need to live lives of full commitment to Him!

On a random note... you may be wondering why I usually remove the verse numbers from the verses. The fact is that the verse numbers are not inspired... and I find that they can make it harder to read it how it was written. I'm not saying that references are bad... they are extremely helpful! I just think it's easier to read without them at times. :)

No comments: