Monday, May 05, 2008

Our conscience

School was definitely on the long end today. I spent a lot of time working on projects today. It went fairly well, but definitely tiring. Last night, we watched a couple session of the Introduction to Biblical Counseling with Dr. Jim Burg. There was a lot that I found very useful not only for the possibility of helping others in the future, but for my own good. One thing that really hit me is that our conscience both discerns our actions (right or wrong), and afflicts us when they are wrong. I was thinking about how my conscience afflicts me when I do wrong. Sometimes it is painful to the point that I try to blot it out. This is extremely unhealthy! We feel the most strongly about sin right after we do it... so that is the time to take care of it. The shame that comes with sin is a healthy thing that reminds us not to sin again. Our conscience is hurt by repeated sinning and ignoring that "moment-after-effect" when it hurts the most, but it is fine-tuned by repeated obedience. It is so important that we are living as obedient children. The little bits of obedience now will make such a huge difference in the future.

No comments: