Thursday, September 25, 2008

Absolute Truth

On Wednesday, one of my teachers asked the class of about 32 students if they believed in absolute truth. At first, I thought maybe I had mis-heard the question because no one put their hand up. After a moment of him looking around, I knew that I must have heard him correctly and put my hand up. I look around... and I am the only one. I had always heard about things like this happening, but never fully experienced it until this senior capstone class with 30+ other seniors. He began questioning... "really, is there only one person in this class that believes in absolute truth?" The tone of his voice was encouraging... I thought I was about to get blasted with all sorts of arguments against absolute truth. After asking a few more times, the guy next to me put up his hand (probably because I did). After the teacher asked him some questions, it pretty much confirmed that he did not believe in absolute truth. It turns out that my teacher actually believes in absolute truth! I was quite thrilled. It was definitely a sobering experience knowing that all of those students are about to be the next business owners in the world, and they have nothing concrete to hold onto! I can't even imagine what it would be like to live in a world with no absolute truth. I guess that would give everyone the complete freedom to create their own gospel. Maybe that is why we are seeing such wide acceptance of all religions as ways to heaven (even amongst "Christian" pastors). Let me tell you, the absolute truth is that we have sinned and deserve hell, yet He has given us one and only one way to escape hell, and that is through Christ's death and resurrection. Join me in prayer for these people who have allowed themselves to put their ideas above the consequences for sin which are clearly spelled-out in scripture. This people need to be submissive once again to the One who is the source of all absolute truth. I am reminded of Philippians 2:9-11.

For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
The truth is that every one of us will bow to the source of all absolute truth regardless of if we believe in Him or not. He is not a God that goes based on what we think is the way to heaven. He is creator and ruler. Let's be submissive to Him now, not only when we have no choice. Don't think that we are above the temptation to put ourselves above the absolute truth of scripture. This is a "Christian" institution... definitely not the most godly of instructors, but all the same... it's classified as a "Christian" school. There are future pastors in this group. This is scary to me!

1 comment:

Camille said...

Wow. That's shocking! I'm glad your teacher believes in absolute truth, however. A lot don't these days. Strange world we live in!