Monday, June 27, 2011

Fixing Your Gaze on Him

This evening I decide to read what we had read earlier in family devotions. I am finding it so important to make sure that all sin (no matter how big or small it may appear) does not go unprotested in my heart. Passages like... taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ... laying aside the sin that so easily entangles us... fleeing from sin and pursuing righteousness and holiness... letting the meditation of our hearts be acceptable to God... etc. all flood my mind. I have been listening to Exodus off and on in the car on the way to work and it is continually serving as a reminder that sin hardens our hearts. Letting little things go makes room for bigger things. This is the very thing we read about tonight in Proverbs 4:23-27.
Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life. Put away from you a deceitful mouth and put devious speech far from you. Let your eyes look directly ahead and let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you. Watch the path of your feet and all your ways will be established. Do not turn to the right nor to the left; turn your foot from evil.
One of the dangers in looking closely at all the "small things" that must not go through our hearts without a battle... is that we can lose sight of the big picture. We see how the Pharisees were focused on things like mint tithe but robbing widows and not taking care of their parents. To assume that mastering the little things means we master the big things is not a safe assumption. We must watch over our hearts with all diligence in both the big things and the small things. I have been thinking lately about how His Word is sharper than a two-edged sword and judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart. I am in constant need of Him to show me my own motives so that my heart would be fixed on Him.

God, please help me to be diligent about listening to Your still small voice concerning my heart. Search me and know my thoughts. Reveal any sin that resists You in my heart. Cleanse my heart so that the words that I say are filled with grace. Fix my eyes on You so that when the storms of life come, I trust You with all my heart rather than leaning on my own understanding. Cause the things that would side-track me to be of no appeal to me. Let me find fullest joy in You alone. Let love for Christ, every motive inspire. I need You to be the center... my All.

No comments: