Thursday, June 02, 2011

When He Gives the Words

It is such a huge temptation to take things into our own hands... to depend upon our own wisdom... etc. I woke up this morning with a song in my head which has Proverbs 3:5-6 in the middle of it. I have had that specific part stuck throughout the day. I love when things like that are stuck in my head. The truths are so foundational and simple, but can be such a challenge.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
That phrase, "with all of your heart", is too often overlooked. We can't compare ourselves to others and then tell God how good we are by trusting Him with some or even most of our hearts. God is not impressed by my wisdom. Actually, if it truly is wise, He gave it to me. Leaning not on my own understanding must be what drives me to my knees in prayer. He said that if anyone lacks wisdom, we can ask of Him and He will give it--that is submission to His ways... that is acknowledgement of Him. When we do this, He doesn't promise a road of ease, but He does promise that it will be straight. I think we are often surprised by what He does because we are trusting our own wisdom to make decisions far too much of the time. If we were fully in-tune with Him, I think we would be surprised very little by what He does. In fact, I believe He would be creating those desires in our heart to prepare us for it. His ways are higher than our ways. I am not trying to say otherwise, but I do think that there are unnecessary "surprises" due to our lack of seeking His wisdom before our own.

I was reading tonight in Acts 6 and looking at the example of Stephen who was clearly in-tune with what the Lord was doing not only inside himself, but also in those around him. Take a look at this:
And Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people. But some men from what was called the Synagogue of the Freedmen, including both Cyrenians and Alexandrians, and some from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and argued with Stephen. But they were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking... and fixing their gaze on him, all who were sitting in the Council saw his face like the face of an angel.
When we submit ourselves to His way, He provides the words far above and beyond what we could even dream of thinking to say. God is so infinitely wise and He is not only willing, but He has told us to ask Him for wisdom. It is His will for us to have it. It's not like we are trying to get something out of Him that He is holding back... He wants us to be wise children.

God, give me humility to see the ways in which I am leaning on my own understanding. Teach me to trust You with all of my heart. By Your grace, don't let me be content with anything less. I ask that You give me wisdom... You know more than I just how desperately I need it. I have no wisdom of my own even though I try to act like I do at times. Crush all of that pride and turn my heart toward glorifying You with all that is within me. Take all that I am... not just some of me... not just what I feel like giving you... I need You take take it all.

No comments: