Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Side Issues

One thing that God has been teaching me lately is that I must not ignore any kind of "side issues" in my life. I had let my room get out of hand... it was a disaster... and I hadn't been keeping good track of my finances as I ought to. I wasn't spending like I shouldn't, but I wasn't keeping track of it either. I believe that is one of my responsibilities as a steward of the money He has given me... to keep good track of it and where it is going. The Lord had been convicting me of these two things. I started noticing that Satan was starting to use them as a foot hold in my heart to remind me of those failures and attempt to make me believe that failing in other areas was okay because I "already failed"... so why worry about it? I am thankful for the Holy Spirit and the fact that He is my ever present help in time of need... when those lies from Satan come, the Holy Spirit is there to fill me with Biblical thoughts about full submission to Him.

I decided that though my room being a mess isn't "eternally significant" necessarily, it is important... same thing with my finances. I am thankful for godly friends and commitment to keep me accountable to get those things taken care of. These issues which may be deemed as small from the outside were of vital importance for my heart. I noticed that my desire for the Word the last couple days was decreasing. I wanted so much to have a strong desire for the Word. I knew I must read it even if I didn't feel like it, but I desired so strongly to "feel like it". I pled with the Lord to renew that desire though I am committed to doing it regardless of how I feel. He answered that prayer and gave abundance of joy in His Word this morning.

Psalm 4 has been on my heart since about the end of March. I read that along with some other passages. It is such a great reminder for me to trust the Lord and be obedient.
But know that the Lord has set apart the godly man for Himself; The Lord hears when I call to Him. Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And trust in the Lord.
God, thank You for restoring my soul, for leading me by the still waters of Your Word. By your grace and mercy, I ask that You would continue to cause the desire for Your Word to grow in my heart. Even more than that, cause my desire to obey Your Word to grow. Let no vice or sin remain that resists Your holy war in my heart. I want you to dwell here in my heart without rivals. Make me as soft clay in Your skillful hands. Thank You that Your mercies never cease. Thank You for drawing to mind the "side isues" of life that are really main issues. Continually search my heart and show me if there be any wicked way in me and lead me in Your everlasting path.

1 comment:

Sophia said...

This post has really spoken to me. Just half an hour ago, I was in my room and didn't really have the desire to read the Word. I wanted to have the desire, but I didn't. I'd love to say I put aside my desires and decided to read, but to be honest, I chose not to. Your post has really shown me what I think God wanted to show me all along. As soon as I press submit to this comment, I'm going back to my room and going to spend time reading my Bible. Thanks for the post, Daniel. :)