Saturday, September 29, 2007

A day full of fun...

This morning, Christina and I went to Cal baptist to play Ultimate Frisbee. It was a ton of fun! Christina made several touchdown catches. We were very blessed at lunch! Lunch at CBU isn't the cheapest thing, but they have good food. They only had one cash register on which was only for scanning student IDs. Well, Christina doesn't have a meal plan, and so I was paying and it took maybe 2 mins for the man to get someone to open the other cash register. Because of this "horrible" delay, he only made us pay for one of us. It was definitely a blessing. :)

About yesterday night, we were talking about the opposition we face as Christians. The main verse we looked at was 2 Timothy 3:12 which says, "Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." This reminded me of Luke 12:11-12 which I read on Thursday, "When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." The words "when" and "will be" really caught my attention. It is not a matter of escaping these things, it is a matter of pressing on within the circumstances that we are given.

We have had several missionaries come to our church recently, and the persecution we have here is so wimpy (for lack of a better word). I have a tendency to put personal comfort above full obedience. More practically speaking, I naturally prefer to not stand up and speak the truth when I could just ignore whatever it was that I should have taken a stand against. I have one word for living like this: SELFISHNESS! Galatians 5:16 says, "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." This really shows me some things about my heart. I am obviously not walking in the Spirit to the point that His desires become my desires. I realize that we will always have our sinful nature on this earth, but all the same, God has given us freedom from sin by His spirit. He gives us the power to overcome any temptation (1 Cor. 10:13). We need to drown out the flesh in the water of His Word! Press on!

No comments: