Thursday, September 27, 2007

It's almost the weekend!

Many would argue that it is not almost the weekend, but I only have one class on MWF at 7:50 am, so once I finish my physics lab on Thursday evenings, it feels like the weekend. :) Today was one of those rare days where I actually finished the lab way early!
Anyway, I have been thinking about Psalm 29. For those of you that have received emails from me, I often sign them with Psalm 29:2 because it is one of my favorite verses.

1 Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones,
Give unto the LORD glory and strength.
2 Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name;
Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters;
The God of glory thunders;
The LORD is over many waters.
4 The voice of the LORD is powerful;
The voice of the LORD is full of majesty.


I find the beginning of this passage rather unique. What do we have to give the Lord that He doesn't already have? Really, we have nothing to offer but our "filthy rag" righteousness (Isaiah 64:6), and yet we are to give Him glory and strength. Well, if we cannot give Him anything that He doesn't already have, then why do we need to give Him anything? I would argue that it is not only for His glory, but also for our hearts. Paul says in Romans 12:1 that living our lives as a living sacrifice is our reasonable service. I find it so easy to get into a "it's all about me" thought pattern, but in reality, we owe it all to Him!

That was a long tangent to get to the point I was planning on making. I love the words "beauty of holiness" in verse 2. When we get to heaven, surrounded by nothing but holiness, it will be truly beautiful. I love how the rest of the chapter describes God. If you have ever been in a huge thunder storm, it is a bit scary how powerful that bolt is, and the sound that comes off it. If you can't identify with that, have you ever been near a huge waterfall where it is not physically possible to yell loud enough to be heard above the sound of the water crashing down? These are some awesome pictures of God's power, and yet He is infinitely more powerful than these things! May we live beautiful lives of holiness so that we glorify Him!

No comments: