Friday, April 04, 2008

Back to Bible study

It seems like it's been forever since we had Bible study. I am so thankful for the friendships that I have through the Bible study. There really is nothing like a group of solid, Biblically-based Christans. It has been and continues to be a great blessing and encouragement to me. Several of the girls got together this last week and practiced a quartet of Amazing Grace. It was... amazing (pun intended). :) Worship time was a sheer joy. I absolutely love leading worship, and to be with a group that sings whole-heartedly to the Lord... and sings very well too makes worship just that much more enjoyable. I thought it was going to be the last Bible study before summer, but apparently we are going to have it one more time in a couple weeks. I am already looking forward to it. I started reading 1 Peter today and was encouraged to pursue holiness in verses 14-16.

As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY."
If we just let ourselves go with the flow, we will definitely not living holy lives for long. We need to pursue holiness... it doesn't just happen. When it says, "all your behavior", it means it! Just thinking about all the things I do in a day, and how holiness relates to each of those things is a bit overwhelming. For example... how I spend my time in the morning, am I simply going with the flow or am I pursing righteousness and holiness? How about driving to school... am I honoring the Lord in the way I drive and in my time spent in the car, or am I acting selfishly? How about preparing for class... am I doing it for the glory of God, or am I doing it just to get by? How about my conversations with others... am I revealing who God is, or am I hiding the fact that I know Him around people that may not approve? How about baseball... am I doing my best all the time for His glory, or am I giving up when it gets tough and taking the credit whenever I do something good? The list can go on and on. My point is, we really need to be pursuing Him in all areas of our day, not just that 15 minutes where you read your Bible and pray.

No comments: