Saturday, April 26, 2008

Running the 5K

We had the 5K run for Menifee today. I must say, it was kind of fun running in a suit (pictures here). I actually meant it entirely as a joke until a friend offered to pay for the dry cleaning... then it turned into a fund raising campaign for flying to Texas for the Rebelution conference this summer (donations still accepted). :D I came in 11th place in my age category (20-29)... my time was 25:33. I was pretty happy with it considering that I don't think I've ever run that far before. It was funny to get the different questions from people... "Are you and [Mormon] elder?..... oh, never mind, you don't have the badge.", "Did you seriously run in the suit?", "Nice running shoes (talking about my dress shoes).", "Oh, I like that.", "I am soo doing that next year.", "Uhhh, are you running for someone?", etc. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. You should try it sometime... (just kidding). One thing that amazed me was the amount of Mormons that were volunteering at the race. I guess it was a little bit sickening... knowing that there are that many Mormons in this area. At the same time, I see a lot of things that the Mormons do and wonder why Christians aren't doing it. For example, not long ago, I saw a bunch of Mormon guys working on cars for elderly people. They really are good examples of service... if only they would have the truth of God's Word planted in their hearts. I was reading in Judges 5 today... and it reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend of mine the other day. We were talking about depending on God... and it seems like He waits until we try, fail, and come to the point of complete helplessness before He intervenes. I think without these trials, we wouldn't really be dependent on Him. My prayer is that we will be dependent on Him completely... that we wouldn't have to go through these trials in order to be reminded of the need to depend on Him.

No comments: