Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Finals already!

It seems like this quarter has gone by so quickly. Finals are next week! I guess that is a good thing since it is probably the hardest quarter ever. I don't know what my GPA is going to look like this quarter... but it's not going to be 4.0 unless points fall from the sky. As dad always reminds me, the plans are up to us, the answer is up to Him (Proverbs 16:1). I struggle with this verse daily. There is always more time that I could be putting into school. At the same time, there are lots of important things other than school. In fact, looking back on this quarter 15 years from now, I probably won't care about what my GPA was... but I have the responsibility before God to do my best. I have a very hard time defining what my best really is, so I tend to go with... studying until I feel prepared enough to do well on the exam. Test taking definitely isn't my forte. It's kind of funny... if you look at my physics exams, I lose almost all of my points on multiple choice. The actual problems, I do very well on... go figure. I actually have a physics quiz in the morning, so I should be studying for that. I haven't decided what I want to study next, so I have been reading some Psalms. Honestly, I kind of did the flip and point method today. Not exactly, but it was completely random what I chose to read. Psalm 101 looked interesting, what can I say? :) It was a refreshment to me, and a great reminder of fixing my heart on God. Take a look at the first three verses.

I will sing of lovingkindness and justice, to You, O LORD, I will sing praises. I will give heed to the blameless way. When will You come to me? I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart. I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not fasten its grip on me.

I love those words... "I will set no worthless thing before my eyes." What an awesome example of pursuing the things that matter! There are so many things to be distracted with. One of the main reasons that I rarely watch movies is because they are very time consuming. Another huge reason is the content in them. In almost all cases, the content is less than wholesome. I'm not saying that it's not okay to watch movies. I'm not really a fan of watching movies in general, but I think this concept of not setting worthless things before your eyes should be considered as you watch movies. It is okay to get up and walk out of a movie! You aren't tied to the chair. Those were some random thoughts... this has so many more applications, but movies is the one that came to mind.

No comments: