Tuesday, October 09, 2007

An interesting day

I have to share this funny story from yesterday. The Awana group yesterday was at someones house, and there were a couple families there. One little boy (5 yrs old), found a grasshopper in the back yard garden. What do little boys do when they find grasshoppers? They catch them of course! Well, he got his hand over it, and then it jumped... and he got scared, took his hand off, and it got away. A second later, he comes out of the garden and says with a frustrated voice, "Why do they have to be so jumpy?" We could not stop laughing!

There were a few interesting things that happened today. The main one would be that a lady down the street was attempting suicide with a shotgun (if I'm not mistaken), but the sheriff's arrived in time and stopped her from doing so (I think they ended up shooting her in a non-vital place). If you could keep that family in your prayers over the next several days as they deal with this situation, that would be great! This evening, we only had 2 of us leaders for T&T boys which made for a somewhat crazy night. They behaved themselves relatively well though. :) There is one little boy that I work with that has autism. It is really neat to see him memorizing God's Word! I have been doing my best to try to figure out what works well for him. The other boys don't know about his autism, and so he is often upset when other boys don't treat him how he thinks they should (even if they weren't being mean). For example, he expected all the other boys to wait to say their verses until after he had done his. It is definitely a challenge, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. God's Word will not return void!

I was challenged today by Galatians 1:10 which says, "For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ." It reminded me of the reason behind what I do. It is easy to get caught in the trap of being a people-pleaser, but this isn't what God has called us to! We need to be His bond-servants (a lifetime servant by choice).

No comments: