Sunday, February 10, 2008

More games... more fun.

Sorry about my posting being so sporadic these last few weeks. School and baseball has pretty much dominated my time. I got the opportunity to pitch on Friday against Redlands University. We lost by a lot, but I only gave up 2 runs in the first 3 innings (which isn't great, but isn't horrible). The 4th inning, we had 4 errors and they scored 6 runs. I did manage to score two times (half of our runs). I also stole third base on the pitcher. He wasn't watching me for a second and the third baseman was playing deeper than normal, so I decided to just go for it. I'm glad I made it, because I'm sure I would have heard about it if I didn't. After I pitched, I moved to right field. I didn't bat too well. I got on base two times, but they were by errors. Today, we had two games. I missed the first one due to church. I was reminded of the movie "Chariots of Fire." One of the runners hands Eric a note that says "God honors those who honor Him." I am definitely not deserving of any honor, but God blessed me with the opportunity to play left field again today. He also blessed in that I went 3 for 4 at the plate which puts my batting average back at .500. I thought that if you struck out and got on base anyway by means of the catcher dropping the ball, it didn't count against your batting average, but I guess that is not the case. Anyway, God was good! Several guys asked why I was late. Many of them said things like, "dude, you can't skip church for a game?" I am hoping that this will make some of the guys think more seriously about their relationship with the Lord (or the lack thereof). I don't feel that I can really address cussing because it is so widespread. It would be like spraying a forest fire with a water gun. It would make people upset, and wouldn't change anything. At the same time, I hope that by putting God first, and not cussing like the rest of the guys, I will have some opportunities that I would not have had otherwise. I'd guess that nearly all of them would claim to be Christians, but they don't live for Christ in any way, shape, or form. I am excited about what God is doing. We have a game a couple hours away on next Friday, so I may have some time to talk with some of the guys. Keep me in prayer for that. Church was great as usual. We covered some very foundational truths of Christianity which separate us from other religions. It was a very good study.

No comments: