Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Getting off the throne

I have been on time to all my classes this semester, but I made up for that today. I managed to be late to both classes. The first one, I had a good reason--Christina had an orthodontist appointment that went long. I didn't miss anything important though. :) I decided to take a nap in the afternoon, and mom called at about 3 pm to ask me a question. I was half asleep when I was talking to her. She told me that I had class in 30 mins. Somehow I managed to mix what she said into my dream. I had the idea that she was in a different time zone; therefore, my class wasn't for another 3 hours. I woke up 1 minute before class started... got to class about 7 minutes after it started. So I was reading Jeremiah 2 today and verses 27 and 28 really caught my attention.
Who say to a tree, 'You are my father,' And to a stone, 'You gave me birth.' For they have turned their back to Me, And not their face; But in the time of their trouble they will say, 'Arise and save us.' "But where are your gods Which you made for yourself? Let them arise, if they can save you In the time of your trouble; For according to the number of your cities Are your gods, O Judah.

This really points out the stupidity of how we live at times. I find it so easy to depend on worthless things. I think of my time spent with God, and my time spent on thinking about other things. God should be part of everything that I do, yet so often, I take Him off the throne, and I get on the throne. How awful would it be to call out to God in time of need only to hear him respond with something like, "Daniel, aren't you smart enough to handle this?" When I place my trust in myself, I am telling God that I don't need Him. I may not have a problem with graven images, but when it comes down to where my heart is, I need to keep God on the throne of my heart.

No comments: