Sunday, December 30, 2007

Pursuing righteousness, holiness, and purity

Church was really good this morning. Music went pretty well except for the fact that no one plugged in the pulpit mic. It all worked out though. Recently, I've found myself unexcited about things that I wish that I was excited about in God's Word. One of my friend's described it as "desert moments." I was actually thinking about this when I was driving yesterday. I said to God, "I am so sick and tired of sin!" Well, Pastor Tim talked about this exact thing today. The message was on 1 John 2:28-3:3.

Now, little children, abide in Him, so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming. If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him. See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
I love when God speaks through people like that! On earth, our calling is to abide in Him. This comes by pursuing righteousness, holiness, and purity. The reality is that these are not always fun things to pursue. So how can we keep that passion burning? We do it by meditating on who Christ is, the amazing reality of the gospel, the fact that we are His children, the indescribable love that He has poured on us, the reality that we will have a perfect body when we see Him face to face. We need to have a godly discontentment for sin. If we are not in awe at what God has done, we really need to be filled again with the knowledge of God through His Word.

No comments: