Saturday, December 08, 2007

Good withheld

A guy at church (Mike) needed some help moving furniture this morning. It was good to spend a little bit of time with him. He feels that God is leading him to go back to school to be a teacher. I can't imagine how hard it must be for him to leave California without the completion of the dreams that he had in coming here, but God is always faithful. God works for our good even when our plans don't match His! We put up the Christmas tree this afternoon. I am really looking forward to having a few weeks off! I am in need of refreshment. Honestly, I'm tired of school right now. I really lack the desire to do my work. I am just doing it because I know I need to. I really need an attitude change. I know what it needs to change to, but I am having a hard time with it. I was reminded in Jeremiah 5:24-25 of our proper response to God, and the consequences for responding inappropriately.

They do not say in their heart, "Let us now fear the LORD our God, Who gives rain in its season, Both the autumn rain and the spring rain, Who keeps for us The appointed weeks of the harvest." Your iniquities have turned these away, And your sins have withheld good from you.

We should be thankful for every blessing that God pours out on us. This is virtually impossible when we are focused on ourselves. Instead of being content with the abundance of blessings that God has poured on me, I desire things that He hasn't given to me. I must learn to be content in whatever situation God places me in (Philippians 4:12-13). There is absolutely no reason for me to even think about wanting more than He has given to me. As this verse points out, our sins withhold good from us. Not only does sin hurt God, others, and myself, but it even holds back the good that God wants to give me. May God wipe away the blindness that we have for sin, and show us what sin really does to us.

No comments: