Wednesday, November 28, 2007

God's strength in my weakness

Basketball was a lot of fun this morning. We are not able to play at the church that we normally play at because they set up some kind of stage for a Christmas musical in the gym, so one of the guys offered to let us use the gym that he owns. It was pretty nice being able to shower up and get ready for school right there as soon as I finished playing. There were a few guys from the gym that played with us. Usually it's the same 10 guys each week, so it was nice to mix things up a bit. I had to get my car worked on today. It had been making weird noises, so we asked around and found a guy that is a christian. It was awesome! We asked him to take a look. He knew exactly what it was, he took off the belt and showed us exactly what the problem was, and gave us a very reasonable price. I can't tell you how much of a blessing that was after a couple bad experiences of being ripped off majorly. God is good! I went down to Cal baptist today to take Christina to choral union. There was a UCO concert going on for potential students, and I really wanted to go in and listen, but they wouldn't let me. Oh well. Choral union was in a smaller room, so there wasn't really any seating, so I called up a guy from Bible study (Joe) to see if he wanted to hang out for a bit. He has been such a great refreshment to me. His parents are unsaved, but God is working in amazing ways through Joe in his father's life, and has already changed his sister. It really is amazing to see God's work! My hanging out time with him was great; however, it was kind of a wake-up call for me. Let me explain. During the time we talked, there were a couple guys that joined us. These guys look like normal good Christian young men, but I was really sickened by what their mouth's revealed about their hearts. I won't go into any kind of detail, but when people are totally unashamed of their sin, that is really sickening to me! I have seen what it means to be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. I also see that it is not impossible for me to be exactly where they are. It is only by God's grace that He continues to draw me to Himself. I am still very concerned. If the average Christian college guy is like these guys (which is probably true), then I definitely don't want my sister to marry an average Christian guy. I would go as far to say that I do not recommend any average Christian college guy to any girl! Yes, I did say that. I would challenge Christian young men to step it up in a huge way. Be an example in what you say, in your Christ-like love for others (not self-centered love), in your time spent in the Word, in standing up for your faith, in your purity. I would challenge young ladies to live in complete purity so that the "average Christian guys" in your life are forced to raise their standards. Ladies, please do not encourage any inappropriateness from any guy. This will not help you, and this will not help them. As college guys, we need encouragement to pursue Christ! I read in 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 today where Paul talks about God's strength in his weakness.
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

So often, I am not obedient to what God has called me to do because I don't feel comfortable doing it. I am convinced that this is exactly how God meant it to be! If I was completely comfortable with it, I would be more likely to take credit for it; if it is something that I must depend on God for strength, I am more likely to give Him all the glory. I must take full responsibility for my weaknesses, and depend on Christ to work through me even in those weaknesses.

No comments: