Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Love Chapter

I had a couple unpleasant surprises today at school. The first one was the announcement of our sign language exam on Thursday, the second was the surprised quiz in Physics. I think I did okay on the Physics quiz. I had the right idea anyway, but I still wouldn't call it fun. I forgot to say yesterday that God has provided a wonderful little chapel for the memorial service on Sunday afternoon at 2 pm. Calvary Chapel Bible College has been extremely gracious to us by allowing us to use their facility for free! I still haven't decided exactly what I'll be doing at the service, so if you could pray for God to direct me, that would be great!

I read 1 Corinthians 13 (the love chapter) today. One thing that I hadn't noticed before was the context. Chapter 12 talks all about spiritual gifts, and the importance of using them for the building up of the body of Christ, then chapter 13 talks about the worthlessness of all of these things without love. I often fall into the habit of just reading a familiar passage without really looking at what it really is saying. Today, I was thinking about how amazing it would be to know everything, or have amazing faith. Could you imagine walking on water, or moving a mountain? How about knowing everything that will happen before it happens? That would be pretty incredible, but verse 2 says that we can have all of these things and be worth absolutely nothing if we are missing the key ingredient--LOVE. I need a godly love for the people around me. Loving people like Christ loved them is not an easy thing. Pastor Tim said something on Sunday that really hit me hard. He said something like, "If you only had an effect on one person during your whole life, would it be worth it?" The answer of course is yes, but do we live like this? The eternal destination of someone is such an important thing, and yet I put my comfort before my love for them. Oh, how I wish that I would get past myself and love others like Christ does.

No comments: