Monday, November 05, 2007

Making the most of singleness

We learned triple integrals in calculus today. I must say that they are actually quite fun. I know that calculus is a scary word, but it's not as bad as you think it is. If you haven't tried it, you probably should... you might actually like it.

I studied 1 Corinthians 7 today. Paul makes it very clear that he thinks it is better to remain single. It allows us to focus on Christ, and not worry about a marriage relationship. I don't feel called to singleness; however, if God changes that, I know that He will provide the necessary help to follow His plan with joyfulness. Since I do not think singleness is something I will have forever, I see this passage as an urge to make the most of the time I have as a single. Now is the time for preparation, and growing in Christ-likeness. I must take advantage of the time that God has given me alone with Him. When I get married someday (Lord willing), I will have the responsibility of being the spiritual leader in my home. This means that my service for God in the church is secondary to my service for God in leading my family in His ways. I will take this responsibility with great joy when it comes, but it will change some of my freedom to serve the Lord elsewhere. Since I am not split between leading a family, and serving Him elsewhere, I must press on to do what He calls me to do without delay.

No comments: