Monday, January 07, 2008

First day of school

I left early this morning hoping to pick up my books and parking permit before classes start. Neither of them opened until after my first class started, but I was able to get them later in the day. I really like my physics teacher. It won't be an easy class by any means, but he is a fun teacher, and that makes a huge difference. My computer architecture class and religion in three cultures class look like they are going to be a lot of work, but God will provide the energy and endurance to do it. He always does! :) Baseball practices start tomorrow! I can't tell you how excited I am about this. It will be interesting meeting the team for the first time and all. I really don't know what I'm walking into, but I am still looking forward to it. Pastor Tim recommended that we meditate on the truths of 1 John 3 throughout this week, so I am going to try to do that each morning before school this week. I should have read Jeremiah 25, but due to being exhausted, I decided to just review Hebrews 12:1-2 which we read as part of our family devotions this evening.
Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
There are so many distractions that come with the busy-ness of school. It is important that I remain focused on Christ. The phrase "fixing our eyes" reminds me of a couple things. The first thing that comes to mind is pitching. You focus your eyes on that glove and then throw straight at it with all that you've got. The second thing that comes to mind is when I watch the 100 meter dash. There is an incredible focus in their eyes... looking at that finish line. That is the intensity that I want to have in my pursuit of what God has called me to do.

No comments: