Thursday, January 03, 2008

Help the helpless

I got out of jury duty right before lunch today. I was able to get a few hours in at work, so that was nice. Mom did me a huge favor today and went down to La Sierra to pick up my books. They only had one of my books in! :( Hopefully they will get the other ones in soon. I found the excuses a bit humorous. There was one gentleman that claimed that he has a big mouth and likes a good story, so he couldn't keep his mouth shut about the trial if he as on the jury. He did get dismissed, but pretty much everyone laughed him out the door. I met a guy a little bit younger than myself that also had jury duty for the first time. He struck me as being a Christian, but I didn't know for sure, so I did some fishing. We got to the topic of school, and he was mentioning that he wanted to transfer to a 4 year school soon. He listed a lot of public schools, so I asked him if he had considered any private schools... then I found out that he was indeed a Christian. That opened the door for talking about different Christian schools in the area, and what church he went to. It was really the highlight of my day. I read in Jeremiah 22:3-5 about God's commands to Judah, and the consequences for not being obedient.
Thus says the LORD, "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place. For if you men will indeed perform this thing, then kings will enter the gates of this house, sitting in David's place on his throne, riding in chariots and on horses, even the king himself and his servants and his people. But if you will not obey these words, I swear by Myself," declares the LORD, "that this house will become a desolation."

God places a pretty big emphasis on the helpless. We do need to stick up for those that can't stick up for themselves. I don't know about you, but I would not want to hear these words from God. God always follows through with His promises... the good promises, and the not so good promises. Let us live to please Him!

No comments: