Wednesday, January 02, 2008

God shows no partiality

I went to jury duty this morning. It is definitely a unique experience. I would describe the first part as something like sitting in the emergency room. The called my name for the second group, so we had a break from 10:30 am - 1:30 pm. That was quite nice. Much thanks to Pastor Tim for being totally flexible and meeting with me today rather than on Friday. I really benefit from his insight and example. When I went back, we were sent up to the court room. I had never really been in a court room. I really liked the judge.... he was quite funny. For example, there were people sitting in the juror seats because we didn't have enough space for everyone to sit in the other seats, so he gave people the option of sitting on their laps when they were called to go up there (joking of course). It kind of feels like a waste of time since I will be dismissed tomorrow (Lord willing). He said that being a student is a good excuse to get out of jury duty, so it is just a matter of me getting the opportunity to state that I am a student. It would have been nice to be able to do that today, but that's okay. I guess it was a good learning experience. I think it would be kind of fun to serve on the jury, but it is very time consuming. The case is supposed to go until January 16th or so which makes it impossible for me to be part of it. I had the opportunity to read a few chapters in "Shadow of the Almighty." It was a great encouragement to me to read about the God-centered life that Jim Elliot lived. I read in Jeremiah 21 today. It definitely serves as a reminder that God doesn't show partiality. He even said that He would fight against Judah! When we sin, we have placed ourselves under God's wrath. All the more reason to praise Him for the grace that He pours on us each and every day!

No comments: